How to resist Satan is one of the first major principles we learn in spiritual warfare. But even after it has been explained to us at various times, we are still likely to ask someone, "Just how am I to resist the devil, or Satan?" We feel like we haven't got a good handle on it yet.
The answers are in God's Word, and the best answer seems to be in Ephesians chapter 6, in the passage about our spiritual armour.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
Right there we find our 'how to resist Satan' manual outlined.1. Be strong in the Lord and His might
How do we resist Satan then? Let's expand a bit.
1. Resisting Satan is a spiritual battle. Therefore we will only have success if we do this warfare in the strength of the Lord, and His power and might. We are foolish to think we might do it in our own strength. We have not got the wits nor the stamina to take Satan on without losing in the fight. Let's get it clear in our minds and hearts, that it's the Lord's battle; He will show us how to resist Satan. Lean humbly on Him!
2. God has provided a spiritual armour for us. We must learn to put on truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and then use God's Word and prayer as our offensive weapons. Happily, Paul described the use of these with the illustration of the Roman soldier's outfit. That will help us to visualize how to use these spiritual armour pieces to resist Satan. (The next article will go further).
3. Once we know we are dressed in that God-provided armour, we have one main duty. Stand firm against the devil's schemes. Do not turn tail and run away, but stand firm and unwavering in the truth and position God has given us. (Yes, we should flee temptation, but this is different). Listen for our Captain's commands.
4. Keep reminding yourself - this is not a physical battle; it's a spiritual one. Understanding our armour and how to use each piece wll go a long way in understanding how to resist Satan.
5. Without that spiritual armour we are as vulnerable as a naked man scrambling away in a thorny woods, and no more successful. Put your spiritual armour on daily, even several times a day, until you are living in it constantly. Otherwise, you will not stand your ground against Satan's onslaughts!
Are you ready now to discover and put on your spiritual armour?